Tuesday, March 27, 2012

★Mad about a boy... "Betty Drapper"★ Mad Men Challenge

  MAD MEN




SW Theme and inspiration : Mad Men. I started on my comfort zone making a dress for Joan but after the disaster I decided to change direction and really go for a vintage pattern. Since I love wearing florals I decided to go for the femininity and elegance of Betty. 


Fabric: Vintage Style Cotton Lawn. £6 a metre.


Pattern: Vintage Simplicity 4709 


Year:1950’s


Pattern particulars: Four pattern pieces and no facings or interfacings. The zipper is half on the bodice, half on the skirt, but on the side. I didn't follow this instructions! oh well when do I follow instructions anyway...LoL


Notions: Invisible zipper 


Time to complete: 4 Hours including transferring and altering the pattern. 


Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes.


Were the instructions easy to follow? My first time at a vintage pattern and it wasn't as hard as I thought with only their zipper direction making me wondering why...


Did you use new skills or a particular skill: Yes and recommend Gertie's blog for Burda Style  essential alterations for vintage patterns.


Did you make any alterations or modifications? Alterations are never quick on my body type. Standard FBA, moving the darts and creating princess seams to shape the bust better, elongate the body etc...I added two small tuck in the back and one in the front and I wish I taken an inch from the waist. 


First worn: March 2012


Wear again?Yes, I’m not a vintage dresser but feel this dress is very comfortable to wear during summer.


Will you make it again?  No... I’m a modern girl at heart but if I would do it again I would narrow the waist and make the skirt fuller.


Conclusion: Its cute. What do you think?

♫:Etta James. It’s a man man’s world






Styled with lace as a belt closed with a flower brooch, pearl neckless and kitten hills.






My Mad Men avatar:




Inspiration photos:









23 comments:

  1. oh yay, what a great dress, you look brilliant in all floral. I am rather behind on the Mad Men stuff, I have just got series 1 on dvd. Soon I will know what everyone is talking about ;-0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched only season one and half of season 2... its highly addictive..

      Delete
  2. That is a great dress for afternoon tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is.. I wasn't finished in time heheh

      Delete
  3. It looks so pretty, and even if you aren't a vintage girl, you look totally at home in it. Like the lace belt too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Winnie... maybe later I will venture further into vintage.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! I love the belt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Rachel,
    This dress is beautiful.... It looks so pretty on you.You did a great job
    on fitting the dress.. The belt is so pretty.
    ps...My computer died on Friday,,so I am just now getting it back..We are doing
    well..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy, good to know things are well.

      Delete
  6. Really cute! Great job, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always impressed when garments fit well. This looks really good! Awesome, I'm crazy for florals :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fitting its so important and knowing our figure helps a lot..

      Delete
  8. Impressively gorgeous dress on you! You achieved a fabulous fit!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful, it looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thats lovely of you to saw, thank you !

      Delete
  10. Your dress turned out beautifully! I definitely feel it has a modern aesthetic to it, even though it is sewn from a vintage pattern. I hope you are able to wear it and enjoy it throughout the warm weather season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle. Im so glad that i could imprint a bit of my personality into the dress and the UK weather allows me to wear it. xx

      Delete
  11. This style does suit you so if you're a modern girl then you can appreciate how styles from the past are adapted to today's lifestyle.

    Excellent work on this dress. Great matching the florals with this dress style and I hope you get a bit of wear out of it this coming summer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A very flattering dress!!! Looks great on you and fits so well!!! The floral fabric definitely adds to the vintage look...

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Don't worry if you cannot see your comment straight away.
I need to approve them. When they show it means I read, appreciated it, even made a happy dance. Sometimes is hard to answer individual comments but I will always answer a question.

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with me!