Saturday, April 14, 2012

How to draft a Peter Pan Collar.



Peter pan collar inspiration

This is very simple to design and I hope you have fun adding it to your garments.
This tutorial will create a collar that will lie flat on the shoulders.

Before you start. Make sure all the alterations of the bodice is done 1st and it fits perfectly. You can construct a Sailor's collar in the same way.

To avoid confusion, don't include seam allowances.

Step 01: 



Join your pattern pieces together and secure. Add a piece of paper bellow.
Draw a line tracing the shape of the front and back bodices, including the neck shape as shown above.

Step 02:


 From the centre back neck (1) measure 8 cm (2). From point 2 draw a line  vertically with 4 cm (3)


Step 03:

With always 8 cm as a reference, draw a line parallel to the neckline until the end of the neck curve (4) 

  Step 05:

Connect (4) with centre front neck (5)with a straight line. At point (4) curve an angle.
Thats all. You will need cut twice on the fold (centre back) unless is lace and you don't need double layer.


Lots of love,



22 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this!!!! I'm pinning for future reference...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love Peter Pan collars! I have been planning to draft one when I get a top that fits (lol). I will have to check this out when I do! Gertie's New Blog for Better Sewing also has some video tutorials, I plan to use both tutorials together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh would love to try my hand at this! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would really suit your style

      Delete
  4. Peter pan collars are adorable! I hace bought a lace one that you can just attach to any top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thats great and a good idea to use scrap lace to make extra ones...

      Delete
  5. Oh my love you must have read my mind. I'm just sewing up my lace playsuit and was just thinking it was definitely in need of a Peter Pan collar. Now I don't have to trawl the net whoopee! Thank you xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats fab, are you using the pattern you got from me? will look lush.. I'm sure !!!

      Delete
  6. Peter Pan collars are so cute aren't they? I love white ones on a black dress....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this Rachel! I have a bit of a thing for collars ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, I love details on clothes...

      Delete
  8. Thank you for posting this technique. I have never worn a Peter pan collar. I wonder if it'd be my style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel, as long its drafted in keep of the proportion of the person frame should be good. Im sure you would find it fun to try it out.

      Delete
  9. How wonderful! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome hun, i will be posting some more tutorials soon

      Delete
  10. Brilliant - thanks a lot for this, I've been wondering about how to do these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. your welcome Clare, have fun making it..

      Delete
  11. Great- saw a gorgeous one last night a single layer ( I think it was crepe) with scalloped edges…… Yummy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Rachel, I've featured your Peter Pan collar post today...
    http://threadingmyway.blogspot.com/2012/04/threading-your-way-features_29.html

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Don't worry if you cannot see your comment straight away.
I need to approve them. When they show it means I read, appreciated it, even made a happy dance. Sometimes is hard to answer individual comments but I will always answer a question.

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with me!