The idea of the contest is to create a garment inspired by one from the runway, or the high street.
Sounds exciting ! Anyone with their Pinterest board full of them?
On the list, I have a paper bag style skirt because of this awesome skirt from Betty Jackson A/W 2009.
The challenge was then to figure out how I would make this out of a standard pattern.
The choice was Simplicity 5259, Skirt D. I'm also contemplating using the trousers version 'A' for Karen's PJ Party later in the month. To make my 1st muslin I am using this lovely quilt cotton, medium weight fabric.
The original is in wool and I think a linen version would look stunning. Linen is one of my favourite fabrics. Reminder my linen stealth McCall’s 6028?
The secret of a paper bag style is the extra volume at the waist, so I could:
A. Cut some sizes bigger
B. Add volume to a size.
I decided for the adding volume, so 1st I traced my chosen base pattern on my size. ( UK12/ US 10)
And decided I was going to add to panels from 8 to 10 cm (3 to 4 inches) tolerance, running parallel to the front dart where I created vertical lines using the centre of the dart as reference.
Then was the crazy idea on how to make the front extensions.
I drawn a parallel line from the middle of the front dart down to the hem. Than I cut the pattern in half on that line.Adding a new sheet bellow.
From the middle point of the dart I drawn a straight horizontal line measuring 15 cm (6 inches). Front the middle of the dart (1cm) outwards I lowered 1 cm and created a slight curvature down.
5 cm (2 inches) after the dart end, I started to create a curvature up where the end of the dart creating a square of 15cm by 15 cm. (6 by 6 inches) I called: Front Panel A
From the other piece of the original front from the middle of the original dart I have mirrored the square above with 15 cm by 15 cm. Note that is identical. Called: Front Panel B
To give the slight inner shape I tapered front panel A. Note the seam is included.
For the back panel I divided the dart on the middled and slashed the pattern, adding extra 4 cm (1,5 in) in total. Half each side. I ignored the dart position and redrafted and repositioned the dart making it smaller.
After deciding the hem height was time to try out in fabric.