Saturday, May 19, 2012

★African Princess Dress★



Fabric: Lovely cotton print given to me by Alana {Lazy Stitching} during WALTHAMSTOW meet-up/swap. 
Pattern: Cynthia Rowley pattern 2497
Year:Modern
Notions: Invisible zipper
Time to complete: 6 hours
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes. Having consider the changes I made. 
Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes.
What's skills: Invisible zipper technique

Did you make any alterations or modifications? 
This dress started as is on the package, with the only modification being the zipper on the back instead of the side.I basted all the seams with exception of zipper seam and went to bed at 3.30 am. When I tried the dress on the next day I wasn’t keen on the excessive volume on the hips and the bust area. Even slimmer Ruth didn't got away.

Big boobs and volume don't mix up. Dee & Dee weren’t ready to look frumpy just yet so I added bust darts, eliminated the volume on the waist by creating a cross seam similar to Lisette 2209. The back gained slim darts and lost the band. The neckline is nice and cut and sewn the ruffle pattern piece but haven't attached it yet.


Here you can see how much fun I had thinking how can I dress it up for a shoot using the " ruffle" pattern.
Obi Belt
 back bow
Turban ( Lol)
First worn: May 2012
Wear again? Yes. Very comfortable  dress but Its too cold in the UK. I don't know why I keep making summer clothes as I cannot wear it often.
Will you make it again?  Yes, sometimes I think I don't give a chance to a pattern develop and change the design to quickly. I may try this pattern again somehow improving the fit without changing the style it is in shorter version.
Conclusion: Maxi dresses are easy to style and so comfortable. I like how this turned out. Isn't the print amazing? And the orange pok-a-dot is the same cotton I used on the back of my sorbetto. Only with cotton can you find so many patterns and colours. 
Photo shoot: Near Dickens chalet.
♫:Seu Jorge . Starman





lots of love

32 comments:

  1. Gorgeous!!!! I especially love it with that pop of orange. You have such style. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon, I agree, the mix print really made the dress stand out.

      Delete
  2. You look stunning my dear! Excellent dress and I love the hair!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi hun, thank you. I never really wear my hair up so its nice to receive a compliment about it. x

      Delete
  3. ooh I love the length!! The obi belt is a total winner with this style. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hun. we just need the sunny weather.

      Delete
  4. What great fabric for this dress. You'll be able to style it in many ways. It looks so chic on you. Love your shoes, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dixie, I know I was so lucky that Alana gave it to me. I love shoes so I needed to make sure they are also shown on the photo.. been so tall they never do. lol

      Delete
  5. Gorgeousness! The orange is so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous dress - and the flash of orange really brings the print alive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sherry, indeed. funny how a bit of colour can really change the style.

      Delete
  7. It's stunning, and the yellow belt is perfect....like the turban, only you could pull it off so stylishly!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Winnie. I don't think i can pull the turban off outside the house lol.

      Delete
  8. Oh YAY! I'm so happy it got used - you look amazing hun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much darling for the most beautiful fabric. xx

      Delete
  9. Stunner! Love the obi big time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. With all your comments on the belt, I may make some different ones to play with mix prints

      Delete
  10. Beautiful! The colour combination works really well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great! I love your shoes and even the turban looks good (on you - I can't think of anything that would look more daft on me!!). Now, for some sun...... Although, this would look great with a cardigan too, and no one would see stockings hidden under the long skirt ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks great! I love your shoes and even the turban looks good (on you - I can't think of anything that would look more daft on me!!). Now, for some sun...... Although, this would look great with a cardigan too, and no one would see stockings hidden under the long skirt ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. indeed, I was wearing the tights underneath lol

      Delete
  13. Ooh I love the Obi belt :) Really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So interesting that you all like the riffle pattern obi belt. just shows that you don't need to follow the pattern as intended .

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stunning - I love the belt and the orange colouring to.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Darling, you rock this printed maxi dress!! I love that you've combined the black and white with the orange belt - it's a fabulous effect and looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great looking dress!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love these photos and the dress is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this! It's so fab! Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Don't worry if you cannot see your comment straight away.
I need to approve them. When they show it means I read, appreciated it, even made a happy dance. Sometimes is hard to answer individual comments but I will always answer a question.

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with me!