Wednesday, October 31, 2012

{Sew Weekly} Halloween "Doctor Who' wool skirt



I'm a huge fan of BBC series Doctor Who and I know many friends are too. Meg, I'm looking at you and your Tardis cake, necklace,shoes... Suzy also confessed her love for David Tenant on one of my posts.

I'm afraid I am team Matt Smith with his tweed and bow tie. 

This week theme on Sew Weekly is Halloween and I wanted to make a 'costume' that I can easily wear  off duty and it was easy to sew specially after my fitting nightmares adventures on my last 2 colette patterns. I have entered this at the costume contest on PR where votes starts from Oct 1. Thank you, everyone that voted on my wardrobe entry... I felt very loved!

 Facts: 


Pattern: Simplicity 2451. Such a great little pattern and thats my 3rd version. (V1 & V2)

Fabric: Skirt is made of lovely wool tweed hand down on our Scottish meeting by Amanda. {Kitschy Coo } The fabric have a lovely drape and It was hard to photograph as it moved with me so looks wrinkly in almost every photo where in truth there is none. Oh well I posed still just this time!


Notions:invisible zipper and hook and eye

Time to complete: 2,5 hours of mindless sewing... It's great when a pattern just fits and you can sew it with your eyes closed. 

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes and better. 

Were the instructions easy to follow? Very easy. 

Did you make any alterations or modifications?No, I never have to on skirts! 

First worn: Oct 2012 

Wear again? Yes, I will wear a lot this skirt specially as the winter is coming. -1C anyone? brrrrr

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? The front pleas, the pockets, everything. It's very shape flattening and comfortable.

Will you make it again? That is the 3rd time I make shape D as I don't like A or B. I'm thinking to try to make it high waist next time.

Conclusion: Perfect pattern for comfortable winter wear. 

The bow tie is made of scrap lining, self drafted.

Styled with J+ for Uniqlo wool jacket, french connection shirt and Topshop broges.

Now some funny "in character" photos with the Tardis! Oh such a nerd!!!



28 comments:

  1. Ah that is so cool, love the photos and the tardis!! Can't wait to show my daughter this post when she gets home from school! I'm still on the lookout for the perfect blue pinstripe suiting to make myself a Doctor Who suit, but I like how you've got the whole feel of the costume with it still being quite feminine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. high 5 for doctor who fans! The tardis is quite local to me as there is a police museum on the site of a historic dockyard .

      Delete
  2. Bwah ha ha! This is awesome! I'm tackling the 2451 pattern at the moment and am contemplating making it out of something with a bit more structure. Looks like that is a winning idea! Rad TARDIS photos :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I been following your trials on twitter. Im sure you can do it!

      Delete
  3. Awesome photo shoot Rachel!! And the skirts's cute, a great tweedy number

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its my 1st tweed and im in love with the fabric

      Delete
  4. So cute Rachel! And that fabric is just like the one from my recent make, a skirt as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't watch Doctor Who but this is an adorable outfit! Great job on the photos as well :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, its a geek program but i love it....

      Delete
  6. such a cute outfit! suits you!!! photos are amazing! :D wool skirts are a great idea! maybe another thing to add to the list. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, its a great winter staple... and so quick to turn around

      Delete
  7. You look amazing and I have to admit I do love Matt Smith ; wasn't sure to begin with but his mix of genius and insanity is brilliant! Just love Dr Who I guess and you'd make an amazing companion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ohh you described him perfectly ...

      Delete
  8. Ooooh so lovely! I bought this pattern a while ago after seeing some many lovely versions and have still to use it. Really must get a move on! Love your winter version x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think it will look so cute on you!

      Delete
  9. Ooo love a bit of tweed! Fab photos darling! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. im surprised that i never used tweet before.. so easy to sew and so warm!

      Delete
  10. Wow! Rachel! I am a fan declared "Doctor Who" also ... You are my hero! That skirt is beautiful and you got a costume that can convert the rest of the year ... Yes, you are my hero!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ohh how exciting.. High 5 doctor who!!!! im not big on costumes and its great that without the bow tie i can easily wear it as an outfit!

      Delete
  11. well don't you look smart very doctor who

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know who that is, but you look great! I would love a skirt like yours! xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Holy. Cannoli.

    It's like all of my dreams coming true in one post. I LOVE YOUR COSTUME OMG OMG OMG. And you got to pose with a TARDIS???? *Swoon* love this so much that my little geeky heart is exploding with joy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a cute outfit!!! Looooooooooove! And it's amazing that you'll be able to wear this long after Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  15. O that skirt is really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I bet that if you go inside that phone booth you'll turn onto Super Woman. No wait, you already are!!! Great skirt:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Rachel! I just wanted to let you know that I've nominated you for a couple of blog awards. You can see the details here: http://mymessings.blogspot.com.au/2012/11/some-blog-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're so stylish - even for Halloween.
    I agree that you are more super hero and Dr Who.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Don't worry if you cannot see your comment straight away.
I need to approve them. When they show it means I read, appreciated it, even made a happy dance. Sometimes is hard to answer individual comments but I will always answer a question.

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with me!