Saturday, December 08, 2012

"Charlotte in wonderland" Skirt



Inspiration:The fabric really inspired my creativity and I really wanted to have a magical inspired shoot with a pink wig, bunny ears and teacups unfortunately the reality I had only 10 mins to get dressed and take my few photos before we had to babysit our nephews. Was that or wait and take the photos next year... I couldn't wait to share.

Pattern: By Hand London: Charlotte Skirt. The pattern comes in a sleeved envelope, it is printed in tissue pattern and has a instruction booklet. It has contemporary fashion illustration instead of traditional pattern layout.

Pattern skill: beginner /easy

Fabric: I was very blessed to be given this alice in wonderland fabric in a swap. The fabric belonged to Katie and you can see our sister's outfit here. I really love sharing fabric with other sewists so we have a little bond over our outfits.

As I mention before, the pattern were kindly given to me by Annie from The Village Haberdashery and She is sponsoring a giveaway here for both the Charlotte Skirt and the Elisalex dress. I'm planning to run it next week.

Size and alterations: Size 12. I didn't have enough fabric for the peplum so I cut the pattern once on single and divided in half. I used bias to increase length. I really wanted to emphasise my waist so I changed the waistband making it higher and longer with a lip shape. The contrast of the waist and the peplum is my favourite feature of the skirt. All my seams have been enclosed by hong kong finish as Cris has her turn on our shared overlocker. I loved doing it and the skirt look so beautiful in the inside that I'm inspired to try more elaborated seams. 
 Year: Modern.

Details and Notions: Bias tape & 8'' zipper.

Time to complete: It's fairly simple but I have sown in small batches of time so I don't know how long did it take.

First worn: Today.

Will you make it again? Yes, its supper cute!

What I could have done better? Better photos so I added some fake snow for a holiday spirit.

My machine is very sturdy and took the many layers quite well but I should have interfaced with a lighter interface.

What did you particularly like or dislike about this pattern: Its flattering on my shape and its quite romantic. My first peplum outfit too!

Photo shoot camera: Olympus D 475+ Gorilla tripod. 

Another note, on Thursday I had the pleasure to met the girls behind BY Hand London. They are so sweet. I also met Kathryn. Cannot believe my luck to spend time with so many talented ladies!



26 comments:

  1. Oh woweeeee the Charlotte Skirt is a dream on you!! Fabric divine, adorable hip-lum, and LOVE the lip waistband - will definitely be copying this on future skirts! And fake snow? Amazing. Can't wait for the real thing though...

    What a pleasure to meet you finally - more London sewist meet-ups please! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO cute on you! You're right, you have a shape that really works with this silhouette - adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it Rach. I think I should come for a weekend of sewing next year. I want to make the elisalex dress so bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you would look amazing in the Elisalex dress!!!

      Delete
  4. Stunning on you! Looks like you are having fun back sewing and creating...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your skirt totally rocks Rachel, I literally love everything about it! And I'm so jealous you got to meet the By Hand London girls!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute... Looks great on you. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cute!!! I love the stripes with it and I love your changes. It makes the skirt more you ;D

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so freakin' cute! You look amazing! Great job, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally fabulous, looks amazing on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful Charlotte skirt!! I love what you've done with the peplum and the bias....sooooooo cute and flattering. I've made mine but am holding back posting until my blog gets fixed...:-( but I love it too !!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another adorable garment! You rock in Charlotte skirt! The fake snow is so cool; when I first saw the picture I thought it was real :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's gorgeous! Can't believe how quickly you turn out these amazing garments! It was lovely to meet you, let's definitely do some fabric shopping in January! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. So cute, love the binding on the peplum :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Rachel...this is gorgeous! Brilliant work hun, as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Was lovely to meet you as well, the skirt looks even better on! I Love fabulous!
    Any chance you can send me a copy of the photo you took of me with the wonderful Charlotte and Elisalex? I have now shortened the dress and would like to show before and after pictures.

    Thank you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. beautiful! and i love the snowy shots :))

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really cute! The fabric is adorable and I do love what you did with the waistband!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is super cute! The binding really provides the extra flourish!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your version and it's so cute with that striped top! Can't wait to make mine. And so so so jealous you got to meet Charlotte and Elisalex.... One day London. One day.

    ReplyDelete
  20. THis fits you beautifully and I love the bias trim! It makes the peplum really pop!

    ReplyDelete
  21. thank so much for the lovely comments. It brightens my day!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Don't worry if you cannot see your comment straight away.
I need to approve them. When they show it means I read, appreciated it, even made a happy dance. Sometimes is hard to answer individual comments but I will always answer a question.

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with me!