Tuesday, April 30, 2013

DVF Inspired mock wrap dress


Pattern: New Look Workroom 6097  This is such a classic and practical jersey mock-wrap dress with pockets, optional belt, short or 3/4 sleeves complete with cuff, tabs and button. 

Level:The pattern is not complicated. It does require some knowledge to handle knits.

Fabric: Walthamstow market at Saeeds for £2 M

Size & alterations: Size 10 straight out of the package. The only tiny modification was adjusting the pleats so they sit on the waist. This is the second time I use NL workroom range and they tends to fit very well for tall people. I sewn the version with 3/4 sleeves without the collar, cuffs and belt. So happy with this pattern I want to make a lot more versions.  I wished I had lengthened the skirt pattern just a tiny bit. Going on a short skirt phase or what?
Notions: N/a

Needle: Stretch needle size 11/75

Stitch selection and size: Stretch Stitch W:1.5/H:2.5 and overlocked seams

Jersey Tip: For extra strength I used 'steam a seam' on the neckline and hem. Sewn an invisible elastic on the pockets and shoulders.

What did you particularly like or dislike about this pattern: Very simple, contemporary design. Easy to sew and adjust. The 3/4 sleeve sits in a strange length so I would reduce or lengthen the pattern next time. On the pictures you can see I "rolled my sleeves' literally during the meet up. So many possibilities. Maybe a circle skirt next, or cap sleeve version..

Conclusion: Tall girl? check! Style and comfort, check! No risk of exposure, check! Ageless design, check! I really love this design!
Photos: Digpal Singh

Ps: Did you liked my haircut?

39 comments:

  1. You look amazing! Very nice dress. Haircut is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it.. Rachel, it looks so pretty on you. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! It is such a flattering style on you, you look amazing in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great! It fits so nicely. Did you alter the pattern piece when you moved the pleats? Or did you just shift them down? And did you use the elastic called for at the waist? I'm asking because I made this pattern and wasn't happy with how it turned out, and I really want one that looks more like yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just moved the pleats making crossways and baste a few times until I liked where it sat. No elastic on the waist..

      Delete
  5. Looks great, love the styling too:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your hair!

    Thanks for the tips here, I'm always looking for this style as it suits my figure, just have to get some sewing mojo to get it happening for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just gorgeous! Love the dress, fabric, styling and the new haircut!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is a sexy dress!!! I want!

    ReplyDelete
  9. lovely looking dress - isn't Saeeds a great shop - I purchased the fabric from my little bridesmaid dresses from him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a stunning dress and fits so well. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous dress! I love everything about it. (And your hair is lovely too!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both the dress and the haircut really suit you. Smokin'! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rachel, you're always looking fabulous and you've done an excellent job of getting the dress to fit perfectly on you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fab fit, Rach! This looks rad!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks great on you! My goodie bag contained some knit fabric that would be perfect for this pattern (I own no patterns for knits so I was looking around for a good I could use for my first knit dress!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. fabulous dress Rachel - Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You look fab Rachel. Elastic used on pockets works wonders to keep pocket shaping. This is very DVF.

    ReplyDelete
  18. it looked/ looks gorgeous! good to know those patterns are good for us tall people (and aren't there a lot of tall sewists out there? i guess it's why people learn to sew!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You look gorgeous (as always)! I'm glad to know you think the NL line is good for us tall gals! I sometimes overlook NL.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You look beautiful in your gorgeous new dress!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh it's really cute and what great photos of you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. are you sure you are not a model really, you look amazing. Dress fits perfectly, Hairs great too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You look fabulous in this dress! I really need to make more pieces like that to wear to work. Sorta dressy but still comfortable and casual enough to wear in my office. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Check, check, and check for me! You look awesome and I wouldn't have lengthened the skirt. If you have the legs, which you do, show them off sistah!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Agree that the dress looks fabulous... but probably because your figure does! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  26. WOW!! This dress is sensational on you Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your haircut is gorgeous, and so is the dress. I didn't get a chance to ask you about it at the meet up as you were so busy organising everyone. I can't believe that fabric was only £2 a metre. And if I had legs like yours I'd be making dresses with short skirts all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  28. VaVaVoom...you look amazing! So sad I missed the London meet up!

    ReplyDelete
  29. GORGEOUS! I love this on you! It's so pretty and really shows off your fab figure!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great dress!! Love the new hair too :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. You look stunning in this dress!

    ReplyDelete
  32. beautiful! great shape on you and the print is lovely. really pretty

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such a beautiful dress! I love that it has pockets!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I really love this dress - especially the tall girl factor - picking it up on my next shopping trip! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Don't worry if you cannot see your comment straight away.
I need to approve them. When they show it means I read, appreciated it, even made a happy dance. Sometimes is hard to answer individual comments but I will always answer a question.

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with me!