Monday, July 15, 2013

Lady Skater


When Amanda invited me to take part of the blog tour my diary was already super busy for another deadline and we agreed that I would make and post when I could. Having met Amanda in Edinburgh last year, I have got to know more about her. Have you seen her's fun fabrics for sale? When she started to develop the lady skater for adults saying I was very excited was an understatement.
You know, I love a knit dress. It's fun and quick to sew. This pattern didn't disappoint and was a delight to sew. May I say, the "bad ass" instructions was cool. I know it's a struggle for designers to balance enough information without been repetitive or alienating more experienced sewists.

The  fabric was a gift from Mrs M. It was only 1.2 metre so I needed to be creative on the placement. Size wise, I cut size 4 on the bodice, and 3,5 for the waist and hips. Besides having to add a seam on the back skirt (only take advantage of the fabric size), I didn't make any alterations. The skirt height is size 1, minus 2 cm. I like the waist placement and the 'fullness' of the skirt.

The fabric is a single knit (20% stretch) based on a fabric glossary by Nancy Zieman on her new book: Sew Knits with Confidence. I will be reviewing this book shortly.

I'm so glad Amanda sent me the pattern. I would have bought it anyway. It's just cool! I'm hoping to make another version with 3/4 sleeves. Oh, and a winter version without a doubt... 
Have you seen Sophie's? I want to steal hers.... the whole outfit.

In other news, soon I will be showing you my papercut dress you probably seen me wearing in a few snapshots  over the blog and tell you something cool its happening at the end of the month.I have photographed my reversible victoria blazer. The only reason I haven't blogged it's that I'm hoping to write some instructions and that takes a bit more time. I have a few fabric purses I made I haven't blogged yet! 

Oh, one last thing... the weather here in UK is unbelievably warm! I'm loving every minute of it.

26 comments:

  1. Rachel, it's so lovely and you look great in it, what a pretty and flattering dress. I'll have to add this to my sewing list, now I've conquered knits :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this so much Rachel, this is the first I've heard of this pattern so it's another to add to the 'to do' list! Looking stunning as always! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so pretty and the fit is absolutely perfect! I just printed the pattern out the other night, but I haven't put it together yet. I need to get moving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty dress, it looks fantastic on you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Rachel.. Looks fantastic on you.. and really comfortable.Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so cute on you! I really like this style of dress, I have a few of these on my sewing list :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cute! After seeing both yours and sophie's version I think I absolutely need a skater dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking gorgeous!! I love this pattern, it seems so easy to wear, a good versatile wardrobe item - yay!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely dress! That fabric really suits you and it's so cute and fun and summery!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've not come across this pattern before. It is great, I particularly like the shape of the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a lovely dress, so flattering. Another pattern for the wish list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think i own that fabric,is it little butterflies? I wasn't really loving it and it has sat in my stash for ages but i feel you've reinspired me to do something with it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So pretty ... perfect for summer ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks fabulous on you - I think the 3/4 sleeve version would look great too... then again everything you make does!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The dress is absolutely beautiful on you, Rachel :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You look amazing in this!!! You always get such a great fit on your makes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is gorgeous Rachel, I saw the pattern over at Sophie's blog yesterday and have already decided I'm buying it! It's also cool to hear about all your exciting little bits of news and plans!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks great! I just finished up my version of the pattern and I looove it! It's such a great basic that can be modified in a million ways, and the fit straight out of the envelope is amazing ♥

    ReplyDelete
  19. So pretty! You make such lovely things!

    ReplyDelete
  20. One stunning dress on you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous dress, Rachel. Great fabric choice and the style really suits you. x

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is fabulous! What a rad knit dress :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's beautiful on you - it fits so well!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks so gorgeous on you! I love it! I'm not a fan of wearing knit dresses, but yours always tempt me so much!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm loving this dress on you! Knit dresses are so great to throw on in the warm weather! Enjoy it while it lasts!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Don't worry if you cannot see your comment straight away.
I need to approve them. When they show it means I read, appreciated it, even made a happy dance. Sometimes is hard to answer individual comments but I will always answer a question.

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with me!