Sunday, September 08, 2013

Denim on Denim Summer suit

Hello friends,


Are you curious to see what did I pick this month for Minerva Blogging Network? This fabric that’s been around since 1860 but never left the fashionistas radar. Always on trend, indeed, I’m talking about denim. Not exactly Garibaldi fighting style, more like catwalk Miu Miu ss13. I absolutely loved their collection clean silhouette denim on denim suits and wanted to make a short nautical version before summer in the UK was over. Perfect to wear all year around when I am in Brazil.
Patterns choices: The jacket is simplicity 1665, size 12. It is actually a raglan style bolero so if you are scared of setting sleeves this is a great pattern to start.

This pattern is unlined so if you don’t want your seams to show try Hong Kong finish. I used one cotton Fat Quarter to create the 1 inch bias. When I take my jacket off no ugly seams are peeking out. The only seam it was left out was the side, where meets the armhole. 
 
The sleeves hem are also binded, and then folded to style. I left some peeking out so you can see. Check out Minerva Craft amazing selection of fat quarters or rummage through your quilting fabrics for a more personal binding. Of course, you can buy readymade ones.  Have you seen Lucinda's version?
I haven’t made any modification on fitting, only a few during construction. The top stitching thread is Pink Neon fluorescent guttermann (3837). The buttons were a gift and they are from Cath Kidston. I added 2 hock & eye to close my jacket.

 
The shorts pattern is from indie designer Pattern Runway, available for instant download called scalloped hem shorts. They are sweet indeed. You will be seeing this pattern on me again and again. I had the intention to add 4 extra buttons on the side of the short waist band, for a stronger sailors reference, but decided in the end not to do it. I want to wear it without the jacket and it would be more versatile that way. Besides being well drafted, the instructions offer clever sewing tips. This pattern has some excess on the back piece that many sewing bloggers had it removed. I actually really like the effect so I haven’t made any modification, is a straight size small.

 
While I sewn the bolero in the UK, I made these shorts here with my mom's machine. It was a nightmare and I couldn't topsticht as planned, had to sew the invisible zipper by hand and couldn't really steam press enough. It turned ok given all the adverse circustances.

I really enjoyed making this project. For my kit this month you will find 2 meters of my choice of denim and matching thread. Oh, go over there to see a nautical inspired photoshoot.
 

35 comments:

  1. This denim suit is positively adorable, I'm in love! :) I like how you chose the faded powder blue coloured denim. Very 70s, works well with both of these patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking outfit, love the color of the denim. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The denim suit is a brilliant idea for summer - casual and yet very chic. It suits you well and the shorts fit you so nicely. Tell us more about the amazing print of your blouse. Love that fabric too!
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shoes tee is RTW... I got a similar cotton on my last trip to Brazil.

      Delete
  4. That is a fantastic outfit!! I really, really love that jacket!! And your shorts make me want to give that pattern another go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! You look so cute. I love the scallop on the shorts and the petite blazer. What a perfect summer suit! And what a great idea to use a color seam binding on the inside. I like that added detail :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this outfit and the scallop on the shorts! It's a very cute and unique detail. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. The button placement on the bolero is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i especially love the shorts :) and omg, making bias of fat quarters. it's so obviously genius that i had never thought about it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this nautical ensemble...it's so cool Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW!! I love this so much. It's completely amazing. Loving the match of the two patterns, thye're perfect, and also I love the buttons and invisible closure on the jacket. It's all sewn so beautifully as well. You look gorgeous! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these shorts on you! Especially with the little jacket to match - just gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pretty!!! Wish i could add the iphone emoticon with the smiley face with the love heart eyes to this comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the shorts! Can i borrow some length off your legs? ;) thanks for reminding me about Hong Kong seams... So much nicer. What about your blouse/top? Nice 70s fabric

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love those shorts. Nice finishes. The blouse print looks great too

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would normally avoid double denim like the plague, but MY! you look fabulous indeed :) (as well as looking wonderfully refreshed, relaxed and happy from your holiday) And the Simplicity bolero pattern is going straight to my pattern wishlist.... sooooo cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wowee what a great match. Love your pictures looks like a magical place and really love that jacket too. and the shorts - is that EVERYTHING!? haha xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rachel, I just love this suit. It seems to go so well with whatever top you pair with it. Those shorts are just gorgeous on you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love those shorts. They'd be perfect for my climate too, in a nice denim. I have some indigo denim in my stash...

    The entire outfit is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So cute! Such a nice little suit. The jacket is really lovely - I think I'm going to have to search for that pattern. I love the bound seams you did and the floral buttons, such lovely touches.

    Oh, and I love your shoe top!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is just so cute! I never would've wanted to wear denim on denim, but you've pulled it off in such a chic way! Absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is such an awesome outfit! The shorts are really cute and and made in denim - so versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You've made all denim look cool! I never thought this was possible outside of the 80's, but you proved me wrong! Love the bias binding detail on the jacket!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are just too damn cute! Who would have thought double denim could look so good ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. So cute! I love those shorts - not sure I could pull them off though, but they look amazing on you xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ummm, girl, you look amazing. Love this whole ensemble!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Adorable:) you look cute in everything

    ReplyDelete
  27. Good work Rachel! Especially on an unfamilar machine :-)
    Very impressed with this little suit!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a great outfit you've sewn here. I have the shorts pattern to try, but you have me eyeing the jacket pattern now, too.

    ReplyDelete
  29. love love love this outfit. Especially the jacket. I would've loved to see the inside with you hong kong lining (never heard of that term, but I think I know what you mean). And your shirt is lovely as well!

    ReplyDelete
  30. You can see on the photos i made for Minerva: http://www.minervacrafts.com/blog-ahoy-sailor-suit.html

    ReplyDelete
  31. I saw this on the Minerva blog and I love it. I would have never thought to use that Simplicity pattern and the bolero for this but it's really perfect. So creative :)

    -www.ThatsSewAmy.com

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Don't worry if you cannot see your comment straight away.
I need to approve them. When they show it means I read, appreciated it, even made a happy dance. Sometimes is hard to answer individual comments but I will always answer a question.

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with me!