Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Brasilia Dress: My gift to you!

Today I'm enjoying homemade mince pies and a few many glasses of sherry with my loved ones. Such a special time to reflect and be thankful.


I am thankful of many things related to this blog, specially of the people I have met (and yet to met) though here, sharing a important part of my life and allowing me to be part of theirs. Friendships that cross different locations, backgrounds, ethnicity, age….  a special bond indeed. Thank YOU!

It took a whole year for the Brasilia dress to develop. I started the process of designing in January however by easter the project was parked. The project remained a UFO till Fall for Cotton challenge and a inspirational trip to my hometown: Brasilia.

Finally the Brasilia dress is ready to be downloaded via:




The pattern is free, available at one size only in a downloadable PDF format. The finished measurements are: Bust: 95cm Waist: 78.5cm Hips:103cm. The pattern has minimum ease and no seam allowances. Even if you have similar measurements, I advice you making a muslin as the pattern was design for 6ft tall ( 1.81cm)

I'm recommending for this pattern: 1.5m of 150cm wide fabric. You will need more if you are lining, sewing a facing or pattern-matching a print. Additional notions: 24"(60cm) invisible zipper and small hook & eye. Optional: 1m piping and topstitching thread.


If you do choose to sew a facing - then you will need light-weight interfacing. NB: The pattern pieces do not include a facing - you will need to feel confident enough to draft these yourselves after grading the pattern.

We all know how important good instructions are but due lack of time and resource availability I won't be providing them.  A fair trade since the pattern is free.This pattern is relatively easy, but was made for an intermediate sewist in mind.  I will be sharing a visual tutorial of all the tricky parts in the future. 


A special thank you to all my beautiful testers. I will she sharing their makes on the blog next year. Search the tag #brasiliadress on instagram and twitter.

This project wouldn't look so professional without the help of sewist extraordinarie Claire. She digitise the pattern for you on PDF format. She made sure was easy to print and saved paper! She is a star and a great inspiration! Kat  and Mel were the two genius that helped me with the envelope. Don't you love collaborations? I do!!!! 


More information on the pattern: 
Top level directions or your own personal preference:
Stay stitch necklines and armholes
Sew bodice darts
Sew CF together
Sew side cut-outs to bodice front
Sew back darts
Sew invisible zipper to the back
If using facing (Interface/ sew the facings “all in one method”)
Sew shoulders
Sew side seams
if binding (bind neck and arms)
Hem
Enjoy the holidays!

Merry Christmas!

28 comments:

  1. I am destined to make this dress. I am the same height and measurements as you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Not sure when I will be able to get to it, but I sure would like to try this one. Been looking forward to this. Thank you again! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas Rachel.. Hope you and your family have a blessed one.. Thank you for your friendship also.. Love your blog and your sweetness..
    The dress is beautiful.. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Merry Christmas, Rachel! It has been a great year for you, and to have the Brasilia dress ready for downloading like this is just the perfect finale to 2013 ~ enjoy yourself, and I hope Santa is good to you ... J

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh what a lovely Christmas suprise. I had forgotten that you were doing this. Thanks and merry Christmas xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for the lovely pattern, rachel.. gonna give it a go, sometime next year.. and, i love love the watercolor drawings of the dress, sooo beeautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great christmas gift! These measurements are incredibly close to the ones I need, even in the bust. No FBA! This is going to be fun. Have a hreat christmas day

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Christmas Rachel. Thank you for this amazing pattern. Best Xmas pressie. I look forward to making this in the spring. I'm just a few inches shorter than you and think will only have to grade out the hips an inch or 2 (depending on how good/bad I am over Xmas!!) HAVE a great day and best wishes for 2014, Maeve.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Merry Christmas Rachel :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the pattern Rachel, this dress will be add to my next spring projects list.

    Feliz Natal!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is wonderful, Rachel! My measurements are very different to those of the finished garment, but maybe this will teach me how to use alterations...? :)

    Also, the illustration is gorgeous. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely Christmas pressie thanks Rachel! x Have a great Christmas and a very happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the pattern! I have similar measurements, just ~20cm shorter :)
    Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. drooling over the artwork! i've already drooled over the exquisite pattern:)

    merry merry, rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been looking forward to this pattern like forever. I'll be making this very soon! I love the drawing of you in your dress! Thank you! Enjoy the sherry and the loved ones!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful, kind, generous and amazingly talented. What a package you are Rachel! Merry Christmas and I will make this up as soon as I can!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you very much....it's beautiful....off to Craftsy to down load it x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Merry Christmas and a big thank you!

    Although my measurements are waaaaaay off, I'll give it a try too :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great Chirstmas present! Thank you Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Rachel! And a big thank you for the pattern, it's a beautiful dress :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations on the release of your pattern, I totally enjoyed testing this dress and have plans to make another (fully lined) in the next couple of weeks. I get loads of compliments every time I wear my dress. Merry Christmas Rachel :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, a pattern designed for us tall gals! What a wonderful treat!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is so lovely! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Merry Christmas Rachel and thank you for such a lovely Christmas present. It's such a great dress to wear.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That's a great gift.
    This dress is really lovely and I think I'll tried to sew it.
    I discovered your blog a few weeks ago and is fantastic.
    So I wish you an happy new year

    ReplyDelete
  26. Rachel, congratulations on releasing this pattern! It's such a blessing to hear that it took you awhile for it to come to fruition. I have some big things I want to accomplish this year (2014) and knowing that good things take time to come together is keeping me on track!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I just printed the pattern and noticed that on the first page it says "by house of patterns" :)
    I have a lovely owl print cotton that I was saving for something special.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! Don't worry if you cannot see your comment straight away.
I need to approve them. When they show it means I read, appreciated it, even made a happy dance. Sometimes is hard to answer individual comments but I will always answer a question.

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with me!